Dean's Professor of Management Science and Operations Management
Dr. Raghavan is passionate about using quantitative methods (in particular optimization models) for better decision making. His research interests and activities cover a broad domain including— auction design, data mining, economics, information systems, computational marketing, networks, optimization, and telecommunications. He has published on a wide variety of topics (including telecommunications, electronic markets, and data mining) and numerous academic outlets such as Management Science, Operations Research, Decision Support Systems, and the INFORMS Journal on Computing. He holds two patents and has won numerous awards for his work. These include:
- (i) the Dantzig award for the best doctoral dissertation
- (ii) the INFORMS Computing Society Prize (twice); once for innovative contributions to the field of data mining, and a second time for his contributions to public sector auction design
- (iii) the Glover-Klingman Prize for the best paper in the journal Networks
- (iv) the Management Science Strategic Innovation Prize by the European Operations Research Society
- (v) 2nd Prize in the INFORMS Junior Faculty Paper Competition
- (vi) Finalist for the European Operations Research Society Excellence in Practice Award
- (vii) Finalist for the Wagner Prize for Excellence in Operations Research Practice
He has edited six books titled Telecommunications Network Design and Management (Kluwer Academic Press 2003), Telecommunications Planning: Innovations in Pricing, Network Design, and Management (Springer 2006), The Next Wave in Computing, Optimization, and Decision Technologies (Springer 2005), Telecommunications Modeling, Policy, and Technology (Springer 2008), The Vehicle Routing Problem: Latest Advances and New Challenges (Springer 2008), and Tutorials in Operations Research (INFORMS 2008).
He enjoys teaching decision modeling oriented courses and is a recipient of the Legg-Mason Teaching Innovation award at the Smith School. Prior to joining the Smith School, he led the Optimization Group at U S WEST Advanced Technologies.
Online MBA Course Offering: